Omega-3 fatty acid a polyunsaturated fatty acid whose carbon chain has its first double valence bond three carbons from the beginning. (Source: wordnetweb.princeton.edu)
Omega-3 fatty acid refers to a group of three fats ALA, EPA and DHA. Omega-3 fatty acids are vital for normal metabolism. (Source: Wikipedia)
Sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Most of the sources of fatty acids are Fish, Fish Oil, Krill, Plant sources, Eggs, Meat, Mammalian brains and eyes, Seal oil, Schizochytrium and microalgae crypthecodinium cohnii are the rich sources of fatty acids.
Recently several companies have lunched foods with omega-3 fatty acid supplement. Omega-3 fatty acids fortified pizza, orange juice, milk, eggs, bread, mayonnaise, yogurt, popcorn, children’s pasta etc.
EPA – Eicosapentaenoic Acid
DHA – Docosahexaenoic Acid
ALA – Alpha-linoleic Acid
FISH: fish like salmon, swordfish, shark, salmon, mackerel etc. These fish are found in deep sea.
How Omega-3 Fatty Acid helps for Weight Loss: These are the few statistics that is recommended by popular diet planner
- According to USDA Food Guide Pyramid 1 to 3 grams of omega-3 daily.
- According to Ornish plan 1 gram or less than 1 gram per day.
- According to Zone diet 3 to 4 grams per day is recommended.
- Research says Omega-3 is vital for obese people in terms of losing weight as well as controlling other effects of obesity.
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps in reducing insulin resistance
- Enhances glucose sensitivity
- It speeds up fat oxidation in liver
All these points explain that if you chose to include some fat in your diet then choosing omega-3 fatty acid is far better than that of food with saturated fats for weight management. Overall the goal for your weight loss could be benefited by adapting food contains unsaturated fat than beef or food with saturated fat.
Also people like vegetarian can have food like leafy green vegetables, vegetable oils e.g. soybean, canola and flaxseed, seeds like nuts and walnuts etc.
Other benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
- Maintain lower blood pressure
- Reduces risk of heart attack and stroke
- Reduces inflammation and risk of arthritis
- Lowers triglycerides
Final Words: Although Omega-3 fatty acids are more beneficial in other aspect than weight loss but we can’t ignore the effects of it in weight loss. The reviews on Omega-3 fatty acids weight loss supplements could give you more information in this regards so it’s better to read more and more weight loss supplements reviews. The more information, the better decision will be. By selecting omega-3 we can get benefited in maximum number of aspects.